Sunday Worship & Update
The Importance of Community
And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near (Hebrews 10:24-25)
Last Wednesday, we began a weekly LMC Zoom Fellowship. Our hope is to create a space online for us as a congregation to connect with one another. Now, I must confess, starting this ministry on Thanksgiving Eve was not the wisest decision. In fact, the only two participants were my wife and me. We decided to meet anyway. At first, we hoped that someone would appear. Then we giggled when no one did. Finally, we actually had fun. We talked, reflected on the previous sermon, and prayed for the church.
I share this with you because the world we live in is fragmented and desperately needs community. Beside Jesus, the greatest medicine the church can give the world is community.
A few years ago, GV students interact with the WELCA group for a class. Afterward, the students said that they wish they could have friendships like the ones the WELCA group has with each other. I told the students that such friendships do not simply occur. Instead, they are the result of intentional work, spending time together, helping each other out, and going through the struggles of life together.
The world needs the church. And the church needs to be a place where community occurs. To help us continue to build community during the pandemic, I need your help. Here are a few ways to help:
- Call each other on the phone, send a note, check-in on one another.
- Attend Drive-Thru Communion and/or watch the Online Service.
- Engage the online tools: send in prayer requests, participate in the LMC Zoom Gathering, financially support the church, etc.
- Drive-Thru Communion – In front of Luther Memorial between 10:30-11:30 am.
- Online Church – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK3L5LSAeRA
- Online Giving – https://luthermemorialdsm.org/give/ [note: to give online, you cannot be on “private/incognito” browser setting]
- Prayer Requests – https://luthermemorialdsm.org/prayer-requests/
- Zoom Fellowship/Small Group – https://zoom.us/j/93903882651?pwd=NkhkSnN5Z0p0UGRUdjZwYkRNVFIrUT09
- Meeting ID: 939 0388 2651
- Passcode: 109377
I am the first to admit that I would much rather meet in person than online. However, this is the work of the church during the pandemic. We resist the evil one by connecting with each other. In doing this, we will be a bright light in these dark days.
The church office is currently located on floor 3R at the Grand View University Humphrey Center. However, due to COVID-19, we are asking that if you have any questions or concerns, please email the church firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!